"he made his way to the back of the immense Karlskirche"
Karlskirche, 2006
Permission Granted by Copyright Owner for Use on Book DrumKarlskirche, 2006
Tom Ovens
Karlskirche Alter, 2006
Permission Granted by Copyright Owner for Use on Book DrumKarlskirche Alter, 2006
Tom Ovens

     Designed by Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach, one of the premier architects of the time, Karlskirche/Charles' Church is dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, in thanks for deliverance from the Plague of 1712. The church was completed in 1737. St. Charles was considered a patron saint of plague sufferers. The two columns, modeled after Trajan's column in Rome, depict scenes from the life of the saint which spiral up in bas-relief.