"since we moved here from the Schwarzenbergplatz"
Schwarzenburgplatz, 1905
Public DomainSchwarzenbergplatz, 1905

     The Schwarzenbergplatz is named for Prince Schwarzenberg, Austrian Field Marshal of the early 19th century who distinguished himself in the Napoleanic Wars serving Austria under before its defeat by Napoleon, commanding Austrian troops under Napoleon's rule, and finally serving under the allies against Napoleon. His statue is in the foreground of this 1905 photograph. The view is from the Ringstrasse looking towards the Hochstrahlbrunnen, the fountain built in 1873 to commemorate the construction of the first water pipeline from the Styrian Alps to Vienna.