Located in the Ninth District, the Allgemeines Krankenhaus - The General Hospital dates from 1783. Its four walls enclose a central court for convalescing patients to take in fresh air. It served as a hospital and teaching facility for the University of Vienna until the late 1950's when a new hospital was built. The old grounds remained a teaching venue for the university. Shops and three Biergartens/restaurants in the inner grounds make it a lively destination in today's Vienna.