Michael Thonet (1796-1871) used steam-bent wood to mass produce chairs that could be shipped in pieces for easy assembly at their destination. Thonet came to Vienna at the behest of Metternich himself who had seen Thonet's work at a trade fair in Germany in 1841. Thonet was able to make a presentation to the Imperial Family. He emigrated to Vienna shortly thereafter.
His most famous creation is the Number 14 chair. Also known as the bistro chair, the No. 14 won a gold medal at the 1867 Paris World's Fair. This became the most popular chair for cafes and bistros. Over 50 million were sold between 1860 and 1930.
Adolf Loos (1870-1933) designed Café Museum as a simple, unadorned Viennese coffee house. It was intended as a repudiation of the florid style of the Secession and the Baroque that defined Vienna. Critics nicknamed it "Café Nihilism." Loos's philosophy of architecture was summed up in the title of his 1908 essay "Crime and Ornamentation." The most (in)famous example of this is the Looshaus built in 1911. Sometimes called "the building without eyebrows" for its plain facade and lack of detailing, it faces the high Baroque entry into the Hofburg, the Michaelertor/(St.) Michael's Gate. It is said that Franz Josef was so appalled by this building that he never again left the Hofburg via the Michaelertor so as not to have to look upon the Looshaus.
Müller-Thurgau is a variety of white grape which was created by Herman Müller from the Swiss Canton of Thurgau in 1882. Gumpoldskirchen is a town in the wine growing district of Modling, just southwest of Vienna.
In 1875, like many other cities, including London, Paris and Prague, Vienna established a pneumatic tube system to deliver letters and telegrams through pressurized air tubes. It was invented by the Scottish engineer William Murdoch in the 19th century. Pneumatic post systems were used in several large cities starting in the second half of the 19th century. Vienna’s system was in service through 1957.
Bad Ischl lies in the southern part of Upper Austria in the center of the Salzkammergut region. The nearby salt mines were used when brine became a fashionable cure in the early 19th century and the town grew to become a popular resort.
Founded in 1873 by Franz Landtmann, Café Landtmann is located across from the Rathausplatz on Karl Lueger Ring. At the turn of the century, its regulars included Sigmund Freud, Gustav Mahler, Peter Altenberg, and Felix Salten.
Windows of Vienna, 2011
Founded in 1707 by Emperor Joseph I, the Pawn and Query Bureau was later moved into the former Dorotheerkloster, a monastery, which gave it its current name of Dorotheum. The new building of the Dorothem in the location of the old cloister was completed in 1901. It is the oldest of the great auction houses of the world, its staff of 530 holding 600 auctions annually.
Otto Wagner built his Villa in 1888 in a Palladian design (Palladian architecture is a style derived from the designs of the Venetian architect Andrea Palladio (1508–1580) who based his work on the classical temple architecture of the Ancient Greeks and Romans) on the outskirts of Vienna in the 14th District of Penzing. He sold it in 1911 when, their children having grown, Wagner and his wife decided to downsize. After World War II, the Villa fell into disrepair. By 1963, it was in such a bad state that plans were underway to demolish it. The painter Ernst Fuchs bought the building and restored and refurbished it. In 1988, the 100th anniversary of the Villa, it was made a private museum for Ernst Fuchs′ work.