The Theresianum is a private boarding school in Vienna's 4th District. The Favorita was the imperial summer residence of the Habsburgs. In 1746 the Empress Maria Theresa sold it to the Jesuits with the stipulation that a school, the Collegium Theresianum, be opened for the training of civil servants. Franz Josef put the school under state control and opened it to the wealthier upper middle class.
Beethoven's Concerto No. 5 in E-flat Major. It was Beethoven's last piano concerto, written between 1809 and 1811. It is known as the "Emperor" Concerto because of its powerful themes and heroic note. The name "Emperor" dates from Beethoven's time but was not given by Beethoven himself, since the composer had little regard for emperors. A close friend of his, German composer Johann Baptist Cramer, is credited with giving the nickname.
A dreidel is a four-sided spinning top, traditionally played with during Hanukkah. Each side of the dreidel bears a letter of the Hebrew alphabet: נ (Nun), ג (Gimel), ה (Hei), ש (Shin), which together form the acronym for "נס גדול היה שם" (Nes Gadol Hayah Sham – "a great miracle). To play, you spin the top. If נ (nun) is facing up, the player does nothing. If ג (gimel) is facing up, the player gets everything in the pot. If ה (hei) is facing up, the player gets half of the pieces in the pot. If ש (shin) is facing up, the player adds a game piece to the pot.
Dienstadeln-"service-nobility". In 1782 Emperor Joseph II decreed that Jewish bankers and, later, entrepreneurs and industrialists, could be ennobled for their services and loyalty. Jews who were elevated into the aristocracy were allowed to keep their religion. Although the elevation into the aristocracy meant a rise in social status, Jews were still, at best, only tolerated in Austrian society. It was because of this that many, such as the Wittgensteins, converted to Christianity to gain acceptance.
Opened in 1870, the Musikvereinsaal - the Music Association Hall - is the home of the Vienna Philharmonic. It is considered one of the finest concert venues in the world with a seating capacity of 1,744 and standing room for 300 more. The annual Vienna New Year's Concert is broadcast from here.
Located in the Ninth District, the Allgemeines Krankenhaus - The General Hospital dates from 1783. Its four walls enclose a central court for convalescing patients to take in fresh air. It served as a hospital and teaching facility for the University of Vienna until the late 1950's when a new hospital was built. The old grounds remained a teaching venue for the university. Shops and three Biergartens/restaurants in the inner grounds make it a lively destination in today's Vienna.
Zeltgasse- "Tent Lane" is located in Vienna's 8th District. Vienna lay at a strategic crossroads and was the entryway into the heart of Europe. The Ottoman Empire had been repulsed at Vienna in 1529. The Second Siege of Vienna occured from July to September of 1683. Completely surrounded by an army of 300,000 and cut off from supplies, the Viennese held off frontal attacks and tunneling under the city walls. The city was relieved by Polish King Jan III Sobieski, who is meorialized by a church on the Kahlenburg, the hill overlooking Vienna from which he launched his calvary charge. If Vienna had fallen, much of Europe would have been at the mercy of the Turks. As an aside, the story goes that bags of coffee beans were found in the abandoned Ottoman camp. They were given to Franciszek Jerzy Kolschitsky as a reward for his bravery. Coffee was unknown in Europe at the time. Kolschitsky knew of it from his travels. He proceeded to open a coffee house, the Blue Bottle, the first of Vienna's famous coffee houses.
The Central Bath House - Centralbad was opened in 1889. It was reputed to be the most elegant and distinguished public bathing house in Vienna. By the late 1900's it was the only bath house in the City Center. Ludwig Viktor would feel at home there these days since it has been an exclusively gay bath house since the 1980's.
Joachim Köhler, by courtesy of "Deutsches Zweirad- und NSU-Museum"
In 1885, Gottfried Daimler installed a smaller version of his one-cylinder engine in a wooden bicycle frame with two outrigger wheels, creating the first internal combustion motorcycle a year before developing his famous automobile.
Opened in 1824 and still doing business on Himmelpfortgasse in the First District, Cafe Frauenhuber is the oldest coffee house in Vienna.
First published in 1797, the Brockhaus Encylopedia is the largest German language encyclopedia. It is still available in print and in digital form.
Laab im Walde is located in Modling, a suburb of Vienna in the heart of the Vienna Woods. It is still a community oriented towards outdoor activities from bicyling to golf to horseback riding.
Kachelofens /tiled stoves are made with ceramic tiles. They burn hot, store and release their heat slowly. They are very efficient heating devices used for centuries in Europe. Pictured is a Kachelofen of a 1900 Jugendstil design by the German firm of Leutschacher in Munich.
As of January 1, 1900 the value of a Florin was more or less around forty cents, depending on their being of gold or silver. Thus, the value of the farm would be around $6,400.00 in 1900 dollars.
Seegrotte Hinterbrühl Schaubergwerke GmbH
Hinterbrühl is located a few miles from Laab im Walde. It is noted for the Seegrotte/the Lake Grotto. This is a complex of caves that originally were gypsum mines. Blasting in 1912 released water from an underground stream, flooding the lower levels of the mines and creating the largest underground lake in Europe. During the final days of World War II, concentration camp inmates from Mauthausen were used as slave labor in the upper levels of the mines for the manufacture of the German jet fighter, the Heinkel HE 162. Of the 362 fighter jets built, 120 of them saw action but were too late to change the course of the war. Boats now carry tourists through the caverns of the Seegrotte.