"running for chapel"
Appleton Chapel
Public DomainAppleton Chapel - Credit: Robert N. Dennis

Appleton Chapel was built in 1858 and was the centre of Harvard’s religious life until 1932. Attendance at the 8.45am Morning Prayer was not mandatory: a controversial ruling in 1886 declared that worship should be seen as a privilege rather than an obligation. Turnouts went into a predictable decline after this point, and the chapel was replaced by the current Memorial Church which could better accommodate fluctuating numbers. The portion reserved for morning worship retains the name of Appleton Chapel.