"Rev'un Shegog'll cure dat."
Rowan Oak (the Shegog Place)
Creative Commons AttributionRowan Oak (the Shegog Place) - Credit: naslrogues

The Reverend's unusual name comes from that of an Irish planter who commissioned the building of the decaying antebellum house which Faulkner then had his eye on. Robert Shegog (also spelt Sheegog) had built what was then known as the Shegog Place in 1844, After his death, it gradually fell into such a sad state of disrepair that it was eventually employed as a dairy. With his first substantial royalties to dispose of, Faulkner bought the building in 1930 and painstakingly restored it to its former grandeur. The house is now known as Rowan Oak, named after the traditional Celtic symbol of security and peace, and is a popular tourist haunt.