The spiritual beliefs of the Igbo people are complex. They believed that each person should have to go through seven rights of passage. These rights are:
- Sex/ Birth: nine months
- Babyhood: three years
- Childhood: three to twelve years
- Adulthood: thirteen to twenty years
- Parenthood: twenty to forty years
- Grandparenthood: forty to sixty years
- Grandparenthood/ ancestor hood: sixty years to death.
Not only does the person have to fulfill these seven rights of passage, but the person is taught about the substance of their life. Then and only then will the tribe be able to celebrate the individual’s life.