The trapezoidal maze at Hampton Court Palace was originally planted in about 1700, with hedges of hornbeam from the Netherlands. In the 1960s, these were replaced with yew. Hornbeam has now been reintroduced. It was a place for courtiers to escape palace life and literally lose themselves. It was once part of a much larger 'Wilderness Garden' of King William III.