The music hall, which opened in 1863, was a converted pub. It was named after its founder, the variety entertainer Sam Collins.
In 1958, the building was almost completely destroyed by fire. Today, it is the site of a Waterstones bookshop.
However, in 2008 work began on a new theatre complex known as the Collins Theatre, which is situated at the corner of Islington Green and Essex Road, and incorporates part of the old music hall.
Follow this link to see a sketch of the old music hall.