Bridewell Prison and Hospital was established in a former royal palace in 1553, as a place in which to punish the disorderly poor and to house homeless children in the City of London. It was located on the banks of the Fleet River, and was the first house of correction in England, and a major charitable institution. Petty offenders were committed to Bridewell by City officers, including constables and magistrates, and occasionally by parents and masters. Offences might include vice, vagrancy, property crimes, prostitution or "smaller acts of dishonesty". Between 1701 and 1760, offenders from the eastern half of the City were usually sent to the Workhouse of the London Corporation of the Poor in Bishopsgate, while those from the western half were sent to Bridewell. Most prisoners were given punishments, which were determined by the governors. These included whipping and hard labour.