"transactions behind the curtain, St James's is more likely to occur to our thoughts than Drury-Lane"
St. James's Palace is one of London's oldest palaces, and the most senior royal palace in the UK. It was commissioned by Henry VIII, on the site of a former leper hospital, and constructed between 1531 and 1536 in the red-brick Tudor style. It served as a secondary residence, after Whitehall Palace. It became the principal residence of the monarch in London in 1698, during the reign of William III and Mary II, after Whitehall Palace was destroyed by fire. The first three King Georges also used St James's Palace as their principal London residence. For most of the period of the personal union between Great Britain and the Electorate of Hanover (later Kingdom of Hanover), from 1714 until 1837, the ministers of the German Chancery worked in two small rooms within St James's Palace.
Drury Lane refers to a theatre in London’s Covent Garden. A theatre has stood on this site since 1663. The first theatre on the location was destroyed by fire in 1672. It re-opened as the "Theatre Royal in Drury Lane" in 1674, and endured for nearly 120 years. In 1791 the building was demolished to make way for a larger theatre, which opened in 1794, but burned down in 1809. The current building opened in 1812, and is now owned by Andrew Lloyd Webber.