This map plots the settings and references in Tom Jones

To start exploring, click a red pin

Page 363. " those who frequent White's Chocolate House "
White's Chocolate House, London in 1708
Public DomainWhite's Chocolate House, London in 1708 - Credit: Cadbury

White's is a London gentlemen’s club, established at 4 Chesterfield Street in 1693 by Italian immigrant Francesco Bianco, otherwise known as Francis White.  It was originally established to sell hot chocolate, at the time a rare and expensive commodity.  "Chocolate houses" were seen as hotbeds of dissent by Charles II, but many converted into fashionable and respectable gentlemen's clubs.    

In the early 18th century, White's was notorious as a gambling house.  Those who frequented it were known as "the gamesters of White's."  Jonathan Swift referred to White's as the "bane of half the English nobility."

In 1778 White’s moved to numbers 37-38 St James Street.  From 1783 it was the unofficial headquarters of the Tory party.