"in the Tauride Gardens"
The Tauride Palace, showing the gardens beyond
Public DomainThe Tauride Palace, showing the gardens beyond


The Tauride Gardens lie behind the Tauride Palace, one of the oldest and grandest palaces in St Petersburg. The palace and the gardens were built for Potemkin, Catherine the Great's lover, whose title was Prince of Tauride; they were designed by the architect Ivan Starov and completed in 1789.

After the February Revolution of 1917, the Tauride Palace became home to the Provisional Government of Revolutionary Russia, and then to the Bolshevik's Congress, until the government was moved from St Petersburg to Moscow.