"The loony bin in Morpeth, d'ya reckon?"
With typical childish insensitivity, the boys are referring to St George's, the mental hospital in Morpeth, originally built in 1859. At the time of the late 1950s the hospital accommodated over 1,200 patients. The extensive buildings were demolished some years ago, to be replaced by St George's Park, a purpose-built mental hospital that opened on the site in 2006. The history of the old hospital is currently being compiled on-line by St George's Historical Society