"maybe a Penguin biscuit or a Wagon Wheel for his break."
Two of Britain's best-loved biscuits. First produced in 1932 by a biscuit manufacuter in Glasgow, by the time the 1950s came along the Penguin biscuit
was being made by United Biscuits. It was one of the first biscuits to be advertised by name rather than company; part of its appeal lies in its association with the distinctive birds, and the packaging has always prominently featured a giant Emperor Penguin.
The first Wagon Wheels
had a plain marshmallow centre and were originally called Weston's Wagon Wheels after the inventor Gary Weston. This biscuit was officially launched in 1948 at the Olympia Exhibition Centre in London. At the time it was billed as the biggest chocolate bar on the market, which was true. In recent years, customers have complained that the Wagon Wheels are much smaller than they used to be in the old days, but the maker denies this, claiming that nostalgia and the memory of small fingers clutching large biscuits have fuelled this erroneous belief.