Piccadilly Circus is in the West of London, linking Regent Street to Piccadilly. It was built in 1819 specifically for this purpose: as a road junction and public space. ‘Circus’ comes from the Latin meaning circle.
As well as Regent Street and Piccadilly, Piccadilly Circus also joins Shaftesbury Avenue, Haymarket, Coventry Street and Glasshouse Street, placing it at the centre of London’s theatre and shopping districts. It features a statue of Eros and the Shaftesbury memorial fountain, as well as neon video displays mounted on the buildings. Underneath Piccadilly Circus is its underground station; the area is a popular place for tourists and locals, and one of the busiest public spaces in London.