"the Church of San Marco"
The Neo-Classical facade of the Church of San Marco - Credit: Joanbanjo
The Church of San Marco
in central Florence was founded by Silvestrine monks and consecrated in 1443 by Pope Eugene IV
. It contains notable artworks such as a 14th
century crucifix and a Madonna with Saints
by Fra Bartolommeo
There is also a convent attached to the church, which is now a museum, home to a library of Latin and Greek manuscripts collected by the artist and sculptor Michelozzo. The convent was home to the famous painter Fra Angelico in the 15th century.