Berkeley Square is a leafy town square in the West of London. Originally laid out by architect William Kent in the mid-18th century as a residential area, it now has only one residential property – number 48. The rest of the square’s buildings are occupied by shops, members’ clubs, offices and other businesses.
The square was named for the Berkeley family of Gloucestershire, whose town house had stood nearby. Since its inception, Berkeley Square has been highly sought after and is home to some of the costliest properties in London. The square has been immortalised in the 1940 song ‘A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square’, along with several films and television programmes.