Women were not permitted to be full members of the University or take full degrees until 1920, but they were permitted some form of education at the University from 1875.
Lady Margaret Hall, established in 1878, and Somerville College, established in 1879, were the first two colleges for women in the university. In 1886 St. Hugh’s College was established, and in 1893 St. Hilda’s College was added to the list. Founded first as halls, they were only granted full collegiate status in 1959.
All the colleges of the University of Oxford have now become co-educational.